Thursday, January 24, 2013

Malcolm X (blog #4)


 It’s interesting to me that Malcolm didn’t give up completely when he would pick up books and attempt to read. He says “But every book I picked up had few sentences which didn’t contain anywhere from one to nearly all the words that might as well have been in Chinese.” He didn’t understand what he was reading but he didn’t give it up. The quote above is how I felt when I was taking psychology. When I first opened the book and tried to understand what it was saying I was lost. I had no idea what I was reading. I eventually dropped the class because I felt like I was dumb. After reading this article I realized that maybe with a little more effort I probably could have done well in the class.  Malcolm didn’t give up he kept trying and eventually he went from not knowing a word to knowing thousands. He taught himself how to read and eventually became aware of words he could never imagine. This article made me realize that everything really is possible and that you can’t give up when you really haven’t “tried”.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you connected your own experience feeling "illiterate" to Malcolm X's struggle! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete