The Price of Reading
The article The price of Reading Is Eternal Vigilance by
Anatole Broyard really opened my eyes. He starts off by saying “Most people
read badly” that part of the sentence caught my attention because I believe I
read badly. I am afraid most of the time that I start to read a book because I
feel like I need to understand the book as the author intended it to be read or
understood. And I am always afraid I won’t get what the author is trying to say
or that I will miss the concept. But as Anatole says in the article “I remind
myself that I bought and paid for the book – its mine to do as I please with.” We
shouldn’t be afraid of what is in the book. He says that we can read it as we
want to and it is okay to disagree with the book or question the author. We
shouldn’t be afraid of what is in the book. We should be excited to find all
the little things hidden with in the words of the book. This article really
made me realize that I had been afraid but now I can try and see reading as a
scavenger hunt to find all the things hidden in the text.
No comments:
Post a Comment